Thursday, September 07, 2006

Trapped In a Vegetative State.

An article on the BBC website reveals that scientists have found that people in a vegetative state can communicate. The story details a one Kate Bainbridge who, after falling into said state was fully aware and conscious, but unable to communicate with anyone around her. It was discovered that she was 'aware' of her surroundings after a brain scan of some type had been performed.
"Not being able to communicate was awful - I felt trapped inside my body. I had loads of questions, like 'Where am I?', 'Why am I here?', 'What has happened?'.

It may be too early to tell, but I wonder if this will have retroactive implications in the Terry Schiavo case, where certain political figures with an axe to grind might use this as a 'ray of hope' in any case where someone is in a vegetative state.

No comments: