Wednesday, November 08, 2006

That's a young crowd over at Kos

I don't read Kos much, but I was curious to see what was going on in the wake of the Democratic cleanup of the GOP controlled houses. For a few seconds, I was interested to see some new ideas that were going to come out of the new Democratic majority. Some fresh things from the people that were responsible for a party change in Washington. I was profoundly disappointed. Between a long jeremaid against Ronald Reagan-- Ronald Reagan, for chrissakes-- some quotes by Abbey Hoffman, no attempt to distinguish Newt Gingrich and the modern Congress, some jabs at Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew by the few old timers that were there, we get this:

I can't believe that this Congress will actually stop waiting for the free market to reduce drug costs and will have the government negotiating for drug costs.
Hopefully, the days of the free-market trickle-down ideology are over! Hopefully, this Congress will directly intervene for the interests of the American people. But I still won't believe it until I see it. I've grown up in the times of Gingrich and I am still not sure that the Republican Revolution is over. Over a decade of free-market slavishness cannot be undone in 2 years.
==
this feels like woodstock felt, this feels like it felt to see janis joplin play in golden gate park the summer of love, this feels like being at the mall in washington for an anti war march in 1970 and giving the finger to the government guys photographing us, this feels like watching my daughter be born....this feels like watching a super bright shooting star cross a clear cold new england night sky...
==
That's why I still can't believe that we have elected a Congress that wants to do something about healthcare, when my whole life the only healthcare proposals I've seen involved cutting benefits or creating fake benefit programs that barely covered any costs like Bush did last year.
[...]
The Clinton years were no fun as I witnessed a full-front assault on social programs that was absolutely depressing.
Hoo boy, Nick Gillespie was right, the real losers in this election are the American people, no matter how you slice it. The times, they are a changin' back.

After six years of George W. Bush and his small-government ways, leaner budgets, and reductions of the Federal Government's power in our daily lives, now we're gonna get some work done. Government, get ready to roll, 'cause it's gonna be busy around here.

No comments: